Part 2 – Najaasat (filth)
Najaasat is of two types.
- Haqeeqi – which can be seen
- Ghalizah – heavy type
- Khafifah – light type
- Hukmi – which cannot be seen e.g. breaking of Wudhu or a need of a bath.
Najaasat Haqeeqi: Uncleanliness or filth that can be seen e.g. urine, stool, blood and wine.
Najaasat Ghalizah: Dense (heavy) types of Najaasat e.g. Urine and stool of human beings.
Najaasat Khafifah: Lighter types of Najaasat e.g. Urine of Halaal animals.
Makrooh: Disliked or something which is against the conduct of Islam.
Makrooh Tahreemee: Close to Haraam.
Haraam: Illegal or forbidden.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES AF NAJAASATE HAQEEQI
- NAJAASATE GHALIZAH
- NAJAASATE KHAFIFAH.
Examples of NAJAASATE GHALIZAH:
Urine and stool of human beings and the excretion of all animals and the urine of all Haraam (forbidden) animals, flowing blood of human beings and animals, wine, fowl and duck excretion.
Examples of NAJAASATE KHAFIFAH:
Urine of HALAAL ANIMALS (animals permitted for eating) and the excretion of HARAAM BIRDS.
Whether Najaasate Haqeeqi (Ghalizah or Khafifah) is on the body or clothing, can be cleaned by washing three times. After every wash the garment must be squeezed.
|Impurities of||Stool (excrete)||Urine||Blood|
|Human Beings||Najaasate Ghalizah||Najaasate Ghalizah||Najaasate Ghalizah|
|Haraam Animals||Najaasate Ghalizah||Najaasate Ghalizah||Najaasate Ghalizah|
|Halaal Animals||Najaasate Ghalizah||Najaasate Khafifah||Najaasate Ghalizah|
|Haraam Birds||Najaasate Khafifah||–||Najaasate Ghalizah|
|Halaal Birds||Taahir (clean)||–||Najaasate Ghalizah|
ISTINJA means to clean the private parts after passing urine or stool by using clean water and toilet paper, earth etc.
- It is SUNNAT to make ISTINJA after passing out urine, stool etc.
- It is permissible to use lumps of dry earth for ISTINJA, provided the body is properly cleaned.
- For passing urine and stool, one should go to a place of privacy (toilet) and seat oneself at ease. After relieving, wash the private parts until satisfied that they have become clean.
- It is MAKRUH to make ISTINJA with coal, bones, glass, baked bricks, printed paper etc.
It is not proper to use paper for ISTINJA which is also used for writing and printing. But with toilet paper it is different. It can be used for ISTINJA, since it was made only for that purpose and not for writing or printing.
- It is MAKRUH to pass out urine while standing.
- It is MAKRUH-E-TAHREEMEE to face or show the back to the KA’BA when passing out urine or stool.
- It is FORBIDDEN to seat little children facing or showing their backs towards the KA’BA when passing out urine or stool.
- Remove rings, badges or anything else on which the name of ALLAH, His RASOOL, Quranic verses or Hadith are written. lt is permitted to have them in the pocket.
- Use the LEFT HAND only in ISTINJA.
- Do not urinate or pass stool on a public road or path, beneath a fruit tree, or a tree giving shade or in a well, dam or river.
- If you are in an open place and there is no toilet, then sit in a place where you cannot be seen by others.
Before entering the toilet recite:
“O Allah! I seek protection in you from the MALE and FEMALE DEVIL.”
Enter the toilet with the LEFT FOOT.
After leaving the toilet. Step out with the RIGHT FOOT and once OUTSIDE RECITE:
“O Allah! I seek you pardon. All praises are due to ALLAH who has taken away from me the discomfort and granted me relief.”